Alternatives to sleeping bags
- Blanket sleeping bag: More traditional and without the tight fit of a mummy sleeping bag. They are reminiscent of normal duvets and are ideal for cozy nights in a tent or camper.
- Bivouac bag: Essentially a protective outer shell, often made of waterproof and breathable material. Ideal for extreme adventurers who sleep in the harshest conditions.
- Travel Blanket: A simple, lightweight blanket often preferred by backpackers or travelers in warmer climates.
- Hammock with mosquito net and canopy: Perfect for tropical places to sleep safely and high above the ground while protecting yourself from insects.
Sleeping bag tests: How is testing done?
When it comes to testing sleeping bags, things get serious. This checks how well the sleeping bag insulates and whether it keeps its promises in terms of temperature range. The material, the filling, the seams – everything is examined closely. These tests are often carried out in special climate chambers where temperatures can be controlled. This way you can ensure that the sleeping bag actually does what it promises. And of course the pack size, weight and durability are also evaluated.
Where have sleeping bags already been tested?
- Outdoor Magazine”: In July 2020 they evaluated various sleeping bags and placed the “Mount Everest 300” as the test winner with a grade of 1,8.
- Bergsteiger Magazine”: In September 2019 they gave the “Alpine Explore 400″ a rating of 2,1.
Well-known manufacturers of sleeping bags
Some of the most well-known brands and manufacturers of sleeping bags are Deuter, Mammut, Vaude, The North Face and Coleman. Each of these manufacturers has their own specialties and peculiarities, but they all represent quality and reliability in the outdoor industry.
The bestsellers among sleeping bags
Well, there's always a back and forth here. But at the moment the “Deuter DreamLite” and the “Mammut Kompakt MTI” are doing the rounds as sleeping bag bestsellers. And every now and then a special sleeping bag offer appears that shakes up the rankings.
Where can you buy a sleeping bag?
Many online platforms such as Amazon, Decathlon and Globetrotter offer a huge selection of sleeping bags. But you can also find what you're looking for in retail stores such as Intersport, SportScheck or specialized outdoor stores. Here you often have the advantage of being able to handle the products directly and receive comprehensive advice.
Why buying a sleeping bag is worth it
Well, if you like camping or hiking, then sleeping bag is your best friend. To be honest, with the right sleeping bag you not only have a cozy night in the open air, but you are also well prepared for cold nights. You could even say that a good sleeping bag in the outdoor world is equivalent to a good bed in the urban apartment. And let's be honest: who doesn't want to sleep well, no matter where they are?
What you should definitely know about sleeping bags
There are a few things. For example, there are different types of sleeping bags such as the mummy sleeping bag or the blanket sleeping bag. But did you know that there are also special sleeping bags for women that provide better insulation in certain areas? Well, that's how it is. The filling is also important. Down sleeping bags are super warm, but if they get wet, well, good night. Synthetics, on the other hand, insulate even when wet. Then there are other people's sleeping bag experiences. It's best to ask for a purchase recommendation or look for the sleeping bag test winner.